Who are we?
We are Christians from different Evangelical and Protestant churches who want to make Jesus Christ known in the cegeps and universities of French Canada. To do so, we form student groups on each campus to facilitate Bible study and discussion. All are invited to participate no matter what their origin or beliefs.
What is our vision?
Our vision is to see students discover Jesus Christ and explore His relationship to their lives and the world. Some grow in their faith or become Christians for the first time through their student groups. We want to see them develop a spiritual maturity and become Spirit-filled witnesses. Others choose not to accept Christ. Our goal is that this choice is informed, not based on preconceived ideas.
Where do we come from?
GBUC has existed in Quebec since 1965. The first group was formed by students and Christian professors at the University of Montreal. We work in partnership with the English student movement IVCF (Inter Varsity Christian Fellowship of Canada) and often partner with other Christian organizations and churches.
We are part of the IFES (International Fellowship of Evangelical Students) family. This is a growing international movement with 500 000 student members. There are groups in over 150 countries. Our participation in international conferences makes it possible for us to develop a world vision for our ministry. We are co-organizers of the Urbana missions conference, which takes place every three years in the USA.
We pray that the GBUC in Canada may continue to grow and be an encouragement to our country and a model for others!
What do we believe?
Group leaders adhere to our Statement of Faith, which is also that of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (or IFES). This is a summary of the most important beliefs of the Evangelical Christian faith. It is not exhaustive, but sufficient to help believers from diverse churches work together in spreading the Gospel. All are invited to read and study it. If it corresponds to what you believe, why not consider becoming a member of GBUC?
GBUC Statement of Faith
- The unity of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The sovereignty of God in creation, revelation, redemption and final judgment.
- The divine inspiration and entire trustworthiness of Holy Scripture, as originally given, and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of all people since the fall, rendering them subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty, dominion and pollution of sin, solely through the sacrificial death (as our representative and substitute) of the Lord Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ from the dead and his ascension to the right hand of God the Father.
- The presence and power of the Holy Spirit in the work of regeneration.
- The justification of the sinner by the grace of God through faith alone.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The one holy universal Church which is the body of Christ and to which all true believers belong.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.